Guided Ski or Splitboard Mountaineering
Wasatch Mountain Guides' more advanced tours focus on covering a wide variety of terrain and aspects with the best snow. These days are for those interested and capable of bigger objectives of a longer duration, with more hazard considerations. Because this type of tour requires solid physical stamina and good skinning technique, clients must be approved beforehand either through someone we know, or prior outing(s) with WMG. These routes may involve crampons, ice axe, harness and technical descents with belayed skiing, rappels, plus more.
A day will include time for lunch, plus 5,000 to 8,000 feet of climbing and skiing over roughly eight hours. We have a great summary for what a day backcountry touring will be like when booking with Wasatch Mountain Guides.
You’ll love this adventure if you:
- Have some off-piste experience, but yearn to dig into backcountry powder skiing, with greater confidence in route finding and deep turns during longer steeper descents
- Have avalanche training and certifications and great skiing ability, but want gain the skills to rappel into something more serious
- Want to home in on all the skills you are either missing, or need to fine tune in order to enjoy the winter mountains independently
- Hope to run your own ski mountaineering expedition
- Want to plan extended-length trips in winter conditions
Ski Mountaineering Routes in the Wasatch
- Mount Superior (South Ridge)
- The Hypodermic Needle (a.k.a. The Needle)
- Pfeifferhorn NW Couloir
- Coalpit Headwall
- Y Couloir
- Y-Not Couloir
- Monte Cristo (Directissimo)
- Routes of Toledo Ridgeline
- Plus much more!
Our aim is to get you out in the mountains unguided in the future, by gaining backcountry ski planning, weather skills, avalanche concerns and routes, plan Bs, safety plans, camp locations, group dynamics, and plenty more!
Price per person:
1:1 $550 ($575 weekend)
2:1 $375 ($400 weekend)
Max Client to Guide Ratio:
- In limited circumstances, we can book groups larger than two and will add an additional guide to the group, keeping max client to guide ratio 2:1. Price remains $375 ($400 weekend)