- Course Details
Intro to Backcountry Skiing Course Details
If you’ve never explored the backcountry of the Wasatch Mountains in Utah before, our introductory classics are the gateway for a new world of adventure!
This introductory 1-day tour includes all the necessary instruction and tips on technique and fine-tuning your backcountry skills as needed. The skiing features gentle rolling terrain suitable for people of all abilities, and with any luck, some of Utah’s famous powder. The runs on this exciting day will vary from lower angle tree skiing on low-visibility days, to easy summits. You will get our top pick of panoramic views and fabulous descents – but with the very shortest approach. These ski trips are suitable for those who have never toured before, and depending on conditions, take place in either Little or Big Cottonwood Canyons. An average day will include time for lunch, and approximately 1,500 – 2,500 vertical feet of climbing over the course of six hours.
For a more detailed summary about a day backcountry touring with Wasatch Mountain Guides, read our summary.
You’ll love this course if you:
- Want to learn to ski tour and get away from the resort crowds
- Have some off piste experience, but yearn to dig into backcountry powder skiing
- Difficulty: No backcountry experience necessary; intermediate to advanced downhill ski ability and good fitness required
- Meeting Time: Generally 8am
- Meeting Location: Big or Little Cottonwood Park and Ride Lot, Alta or Brighton, depending on objective
Price by group size:
Client to Guide Ratio:
What We Provide:
- IFMGA ski and mountaineering guides
- Avalanche beacon, shovel, probe and pack (if needed)
What You Need:
- Lunch, water and snacks for 2 days
- Review the equipment list
Pricing NameStartEndGroup (Min-Max)Pricing