Grow your backcountry touring skills in one of the most stunning parts of the planet! On these steeper and longer days suitable for lower intermediate to advanced tourers, we introduce just some of the places which have made backcountry skiing in Utah world-famous!
Our fully-customized ski and splitboard adventures are breathtaking, inspiring, and leave you with new skills and outstanding know-how. WMG offers privately guided trips through the Wasatch backcountry for skiers of TRULY all levels and interests. As local residents, we know all the ins and outs of a world-renowned area. Whether you prefer gentle tree runs or steep couloirs, there is ideal terrain for everyone. We even have the option for guided “slackcountry skiing,” which means taking a lift up and skiing out-of-bounds on the way down.
- Difficulty: while backcountry experience is not strictly necessary, you will enjoy this type of tour with a little touring experience under your belt, knowledge of the equipment being key as well as fitness level; intermediate to advanced downhill ski ability and good fitness required
- If you are a backcountry touring beginner, consider our Introduction to Backcountry Touring Course
- Meeting Time: Generally 8am
- Meeting Location: Big or Little Cottonwood Park and Ride Lot, Alta or Brighton, depending on objective
Specific tours vary per conditions and clients’ focuses, but we always aim to go to where the best snow can be found. On many of these tours, we begin in Little Cottonwood Canyon, ski down into Big Cottonwood, and eventually work our way back up and over into Little Cottonwood again. You’ll get into some fantastic, challenging terrain – so you can continue to grow your skills in one of the most stunning parts of the planet.
Each day involves approximately 2,500 to 5,000 feet of climbing and skiing over the course of roughly seven hours. If you're interested in a detailed summary of what a day backcountry skiing with Wasatch Mountain Guides is like, read here.
What We Provide:
- IFMGA or AMGA certified guides
- Avalanche beacon, shovel, probe and pack (if needed)
What You Need:
- Review the equipment list
- Lunch, water and snacks
- Lift Accessed Tours: cost of “single-ride lift ticket” is additional
- These are private guided days so simply contact us to schedule
Price per Person:
1:1 $475 ($500 weekend)
2:1 $325 ($350 weekend)
3:1 $275 ($300 weekend)
4:1 $250 ($275 weekend)
Max Client to Guide Ratio:
- We can book groups larger than four and will add an additional guide to the group, keeping max client to guide ratio 4:1. Price remains at $250 ($275 weekend) per person